Friday, September 9, 2011

Banana Bread



Oh yeah I am supposed to be posting recipes too.  Well tonight you are in luck because I had bananas, and since I only eat about 1 banana a year, I was ready to make banana bread.  I would make a bad monkey.
This picture is totally appropriate.  Who wouldn't want to ride a banana? 
My banana bread recipe is another family recipe that I can say with 1000 percent certainty is the best banana bread recipe in the history of the universe.  It's also very easy to make.  You need:


2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. vegetable shortening
2 eggs
3 T. buttermilk (protip: if you don't have buttermilk, add a little bit of vinegar to whole milk and let it sit for a couple minutes)
3 mashed bananas
2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt


Grease a loaf pan, then mix the ingredients together in a fashion that seems appropriate to you.  (Seriously, it's not complicated.  Just make sure the batter has a mostly even consistency.)  Here are step-by-step pictures for the culinarily (that may or may not be a word) challenged among you.  They only include about 1/4 of the steps, but because I was feeling helpful, I put them in a relevant order.


Ingredients!
Almost mashed bananas




Sugar through bananas.  It actually kind of looks like someone puked in the bowl.  They didn't though!


Batter is finished and in the pan.


Technically the batter is supposed to sit in the pan for 20 minutes, but my oven takes about that long to heat up, so set the oven to 350 degrees and wait while it heats up.  After a duration that seems like about 20 minutes to you, put the pan in the oven and then go away for 50 minutes while it cooks.  


When the timer beeps, stick a knife in the center of the banana bread.  If the knife comes out clean, it's done, and if it's not, wait a few more minutes.  Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring it to a plate or other dish.  Enjoy!




Fresh out of the oven!
I forgot that I was supposed to take a picture before I started eating it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.