Sunday, November 20, 2011

Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks

Shadow's Edge
Brent Weeks
Night Angel #2

From Goodreads: Kylar Stern has rejected the assassin's life. The Godking's successful coup has left Kylar's master, Durzo, and his best friend, Logan, dead. He is starting over: new city, new friends, and new profession. 

But when he learns that Logan might actually be alive and in hiding, Kylar is faced with an agonizing choice: will he give up the way of shadows forever and live in peace with his new family, or will he risk everything by taking on the ultimate hit?


What an amazing series. The world Brent Weeks has created in these books is fascinating, and he keeps springing new surprises. The characters are truly well done and individual, and the plot is the sort that has readers on the edge of their seats.

I'll admit, I wasn't all that thrilled with the first part of the book, which had me seriously annoyed with goody-two-shoes Elene for not understanding who Kylar was. I felt sorry for him, but at the same time wanted him to somehow just do something besides tie himself in knots for her. However, after a particularly shocking moment, the story definitely picked up the pace to the thrilling standard Weeks set in The Way of Shadows, and then I couldn't put it down.

The character growth in this installment was excellent. Logan Gyre in particular evoked sympathy, shock, anger, the whole range of emotions. I also found myself liking Vi the female wetboy far more than I expected - more than Elene, actually, though that wasn't all that difficult. And of course, I'm interested to see where Kylar ends up and how the ka'kari will continue to change him.

It's obvious I really like this story. I was really surprised by the ending, and I would have gone straight into the next one if I hadn't had a bunch of library books to read, but I'll definitely pick it up soon. I fully expect the conclusion will be just as stunning as the last two books.

Plot: 4 cupcakes
Characters: 4 cupcakes
Style: 4 cupcakes
Overall: 4 cupcakes

If you liked Shadow's Edge, try:
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.