Thursday, August 25, 2011

Demonglass


Rachel Hawkins
Hex Hall, Book 2

Demonglass, the sequel to Hex Hall, follows demon Sophie Mercer to England and Prodigium Council headquarters. At the end of Hex Hall, Sophie had just learned of her demon heritage and wanted to go through Removal to escape the risk of a crazy murder spree, which is what happened to her grandmother and great-grandmother. However, Sophie's father, the head of the Council, has other plans. He brings Sophie, Jenna, and Cal to Thorne Abbey so that Sophie can learn to use her powers to protect herself from the anti-Prodigium L'Occhio. But all is not as it seems in Prodigium, and more than The Eye want Sophie out of the way...

Demonglass was a great followup to Hex Hall. Throughout the book, Sophie reacts to increasingly difficult events with her usual snark, and grows as she learns more about herself and her family. The unsurprising reappearance of Archer Cross added to the drama of an engagement with Cal, two new demons at Thorne, strange occurrences at Hecate, and attacks by The Eye. Overall, the developments in the book kept things exciting, and there were enough surprises to keep me at the edge of my seat. Some of the interactions between Archer and Sophie seemed a little silly - Archer spends about five minutes pretending he was faking his relationship with Sophie before admitting that he really, truly loves her, like, forever - but for the most part the story was smooth and interesting. The ending had me rushing to my computer to look up the release date for the next book (not till March 2012).


Characters: 4 cupcakes
Plot: 4 cupcakes
Style: 4 cupcakes
Overall: 4 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.