Thursday, August 25, 2011

Starcrossed


Josephine Angelini
Starcrossed, Book 1

Although it got off to a slow start, Starcrossed was a highly enjoyable story with an interesting take on Greek mythology. Helen Hamilton grew up with her father on Nantucket Island, never knowing why she was different. But when the Delos family moved to the island, Helen's family history begian to surface as she reacted to every member of the family she saw with unthinking violence. As she overcame the ancient feud between Houses and learned more about herself and her people, Helen's danger only grew. While the ending didn't leave me dangling off the edge of a cliff, I eagerly await the next installment to discover what happens to these intriguing characters.

I found the first third or so of this book, when Helen doesn't know who or what she is and is badgered by worries and insomnia, rather tedious. However, with the end of the Furies' curse and the beginning of Helen's relationship with the Delos clan, the story vastly improved. I enjoyed the development of Helen and Lucas's relationship, while many of the other characters evoked heroes from the Iliad and Odyssey. The plot itself wasn't anything particularly special, but the variations on ancient Greek tales and a set of interesting characters make Starcrossed worth reading.


Plot: 4 cupcakes
Characters: 4 cupcakes
Style: 3 cupcakes
Overall: 4 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.