Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Upon opening The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, I was disappointed to find that the story was told in a series of letters. Never having read a book of letters that was particularly good, I sighed, but soldiered on since I had already bought the book. I'm very glad that I did, because The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is clever, funny, sad, and endearing, and altogether captivating. Shaffer and Barrows breathed life into their characters through their letters, from the steadfast Dawsey to the precocious Kit to the enthusiastic Isola. The story, set shortly after World War II, focuses on writer Juliet Ashton's quest to find a topic for a book and her journey to the Channel Islands to learn about the tale of Elizabeth McKenna and the founding of Guernsey's literary club. Juliet slowly unearths Elizabeth's tragically heroic story as Juliet's own story progresses on the island. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Peel Society is a story immensely worth reading, and I highly recommend it.



Highlights: Juliet's wit, Elizabeth's antics, Kit, phrenology...I could go on and on.



Plot: 5 cupcakes
Characters: 5 cupcakes
Style: 4 cupcakes
Overall: 5 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.