Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It's four days until Christmas! I love Christmas. There are cookies and presents and family and friends and awesome decorations.

Seriously, my mom has a giant collection of decorations. Every year, Brother and I help her take the decorations down from the attic and it takes like half an hour. Then nobody bothers her for two days while she sets things up. We obey all orders immediately and do not otherwise attempt to help :) We get a real tree the day after Thanksgiving and it gets covered in lights and garlands and ornaments.





We also own every Christmas special known to man, and usually end up watching all of them in the two days leading up to Christmas Day. But the one movie that has a specific place is White Christmas, which we watch every year on Christmas Eve while eating pizza. (Pizza is another family tradition because no one wants to cook before Christmas and then we don't have to worry about lunch the next day.)

My mom and I both bake, so Christmas is also filled with delicious cookies. And delicious cookie dough. It's not a healthy season! And of course we have Christmas carols on while we're baking - in fact, right now we're listening to Bing Crosby!

Since I'm home for the holidays, I also get the opportunity to re-read all the books that won't fit in my apartment. Every year I read Harry Potter over Christmas, and then I get lots more books as Christmas presents! (So you won't see me posting many reviews for a bit, but I'm still around and reading yours!) Reading Harry Potter also has the excellent benefit of having wonderful Christmas descriptions, so it's quite appropriate in my opinion. (Of course, I think Harry Potter is appropriate for every occasion, so you might want to take that with a grain of salt.)

Just look at that. Santa, please bring me Hogwarts for Christmas!
I'd love to hear everyone else's holiday traditions! Leave yours in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. We also have a huge collection of Christmas ornaments that we have to haul down from the attic! (hmm still need to do that...)

    We usually get our tree like a week before Christmas, if we're running on schedule :) We find an inconvenient or gimpy tree in our own front field where we've been planting them and cut it down ourselves. This is always stressful, prickly, and aggravating (and itchy, as my dad and I are somewhat allergic to pine)--but rewarding in the end :)

    Also, I totally agree about HP being a great Christmas tradition. Rowling really knows how to capture the Christmas spirit. Wowwww long comment sorry. I'm just so excited!

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Susan! I've never done the cutting-down-a-tree thing, and it's really cool that you get it from your own yard!

    Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.