Thursday, September 15, 2011

Insatiable

Insatiable
Meg Cabot
Insatiable, Book 1

Meena Harper, writer for the soap opera "Insatiable," isn't exactly pleased when she gets passed over for the job of head writer.  To add insult to injury, the executives of the show have decided to jump on the vampire bandwagon.  Everyone knows vampires don't exist, and Meena is sick of hearing about them.  Not that she doesn't believe in the supernatural--Meena can tell when people are going to die.

Lucien Antonescu was content to teach history in Romania until word of human bodies found drained of blood reached him.  Now the Prince of Darkness must find the culprit before humans can discover the vampires' existence.

The plot here is nothing terribly exciting.  Meena's ability is pretty unique, as far as I know, but other than that it's mostly vampire scheming and jostling for position.  I like the addition of a vampire-hunting corps, though that wasn't really new either, and I think Cabot could have done a lot more with it.  Who know, maybe in future books...

The characters, again, weren't really terrible or great.  Meena was basically your typical heroine with a quirk.  Lucien was an acceptable vamp leader.  Alaric was interesting but I found it a little hard to believe that he liked Meena so much despite the fact that she was sleeping with the Prince of Darkness.  You'd think that would be a turnoff for someone who hates vampires as much as he does.

Despite all that, I really enjoyed this book.  It was funny and entertaining, one of those light reads that you don't really have to think or worry about.  I recommend it if you're looking for something quick, easy, and fun.

Plot: 3 cupcakes
Characters: 3 cupcakes
Style: 4 cupcakes
Overall: 3 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.