Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sunday Series Spotlight #9: Percy Jackson and the Olympians





I love this blog and sharing my opinions on books with people. I've really enjoyed getting recommendations from others, and I hope a few people have found good books on here too. But as much as I love the books I've been reading, there are many books I read before starting the blog that I want to share too! That's why I decided to start the Sunday Series Spotlight and tell everyone about my old favorites.

You're welcome to share your own favorite series...es... –just grab the button and leave a link in the comments.

This week's spotlight is on Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan!


After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus. 








These books are hilarious and great stories as well. I've always been a big fan of mythology, and I love how Riordan worked so many stories and creatures from Greek myths into his books. Percy Jackson and the Olympians is the perfect blend of ancient myths and the modern world. And how could you say no to a book with chapter titles like "In Which I Become Lord of the Bathroom"? These books are definite must reads for fans of J.K. Rowling, Diana Wynne Jones, and Garth Nix.

Have you read the Percy Jackson books? Do you plan to?

1 comment:

  1. I love these books!!!!! I'm a Latin nerd so all the mythology is very fun for me--and when something happens to be written in Latin I get all excited becuase I can read it. And I remember laughing at that chapter title haha. So great.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.