Friday, February 17, 2012

My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Save
Rachel Vincent
Soul Screamers #2
Published 2009 by Harlequin Teen

Bite-sized Review
My Soul to Save wasn't quite as great as My Soul to Take, but with an increasingly interesting world and lovable characters, was still leagues better than lots of other YA supernatural tales.

King-sized Review
In My Soul to Save, the second installment of the exciting Soul Screamers series, Kaylee must once again investigate a supernatural danger – this time threatening actors' and singers' souls.

My Soul to Save, while not quite as compelling as My Soul to Take, nevertheless shared the previous book's irresistable tug into its pages. Rachel Vincent's writing is simply spellbinding; no matter what I read from her, like it or not, I don't want to put it down until long after turning the last page.

Some of the suspense in My Soul to Take that related to Kaylee not knowing her heritage was naturally missing from its sequel, and the plot did seem fairly similar. Kaylee again takes responsibility for others' welfare, and while that's admirable, I do wish this crisis related a little more closely to her personally. Yes, it is most definitely a pleasure to read about a teenage heroine who cares about something beyond herself and her boyfriend, and I definitely want this trend to continue, but stories are more emotional when they're told from the perspective of whomever they're happening to. In this case, I didn't feel as invested in the story with the "friend of a friend" connection.

However, seeing more of reaper Tod was definitely a perk. Tod's personality is quite different from his brother's, along with anyone else's. Learning more about reapers and the Netherworld gave the story a little more depth than the last book. There's a lot more to this world than bean sidhe and reapers, and I'm enjoying finding out new things here.

Quality: Good
Enjoyability: Excellent

My Soul to Save is similar to:
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

2 comments:

  1. I need to read the first in this series..great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that Rachel Vincent continues to explore the unique paranormal world she's created. As you know I loved book 1 and book 2 is looking more than enticing after this review! *dashes off to raid TBR pile* Great job Kate.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.