Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Ten Books that Broke My Heart


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted weekly by the lovely ladies at The Broke and The Bookish.

This week's list is supposedly anti-Valentine's Day, but the vast majority of the heartbreak on this list actually has little to nothing to do with romance. However, despite the fact that all the books on this list made me cry, or at least tear up a little, you should really, really read them. That much emotional impact is a rare find, and totally worth the heartbreak.

Normally I'd write a couple sentences about why I picked each book, but that would be extremely spoilerific here. If you've read them, you'll know, and if you haven't, you should. Just note that not all of them are the first in their respective series.

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay
The Wandering Fire by Guy Gavriel Kay
The Darkest Road by Guy Gavriel Kay


 The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern by Anne McCaffrey


The Hunger Games by Susanne Collins
Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta



A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling




So am I the only one who loves books that make her cry? What do you think? Leave your thoughts and links in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. I have been checking out so many of these top ten lists and I have a confession to make. I have never read the books that seem to appear on every list. Harry Potter! I feel like I should not be allowed to call myself a YA reader until I get those off the to be read pile! Great list!

    I am also a new follower, by the way! If you want, click on the link below to check out my top ten list.

    Jamie @ A Book Club of One

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasp* You've never read Harry Potter?? Blasphemy! lol

      Delete
  2. Hunger Games = a total sobfest. You know THE ONE SCENE IN THE WOODS. Oh, my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. And the flowers and the singing? Totally crying there.

      Delete
  3. I have a Hunger Games book & a Harry Potter on my list, too! I really want to read Saving Francesca but maybe I'll wait if it's a heart breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Ring of Endless Light is actually my FAVOURITE book, but for some reason I didn't include it on my list ...even though it does made me sad, hah. But anyway, I have a few of the same books on my list and I definitely have to agree with you on them! And hmm, I have some books by GGK on my shelf, but I've yet to read them. Perhaps I should check them out soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, a Madeleine L'Engle fan! And GGK is AMAZING; he's one of my favorite authors. I highly recommend all his books.

      Delete
  5. SO agree with The Hunger Games! Great list Kate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry. Potter. So heartbreaking. And I need to read some Melina Marchetta! Even if she will break my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those last two Harry Potter books are complete sob fests. So heart breaking and such good story telling on J.K Rowlings part! Also I've never heard of Guy Gavriel Kay but those books sound really good so I might just have to add them to my TBR pile!

    here's my top ten list: http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-broke-your.html

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.