Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Stubborn Dead by Natasha Hoar

The Stubborn Dead
Natasha Hoar
Lost Souls #1
Published January 23, 2012 by Carina Press
Thank you to NetGalley and Carina Press for this e-galley

Bite-sized Review
The Stubborn Dead was an intriguing debut. While it was a bit short for the amount of content it had, I definitely want to read more of this series.

King-sized Review
The Supernatural reference in the dedication set the perfect tone for this novella. There were definite similarities, though easily enough differences to make The Stubborn Dead clearly its own entity, and fans of the TV show will probably enjoy this story.

Rachel has the potential to be quite an interesting character. Although it's a bit short, there are hints in The Stubborn Dead of her past and of mysteries to come. There wasn't a whole lot of development in this one, presumably because most of the limited space had to be dedicated to the story itself and not the characters.

I really like the concept of this book. The Order of Rescue Mediums, while not entirely unique, was different enough to be intriguing, particularly with the tidbits of family secrets. The plot itself was good, though abrupt. While there were a couple of times I was confused (most memorably when I spent a couple of pages wondering who a new character was talking to before realizing it was himself), overall I enjoyed the style of this third-person story.

The length was the biggest drawback to this work. The Stubborn Dead easily had enough content for a novel rather than a novella, and I think the addition of a couple hundred pages would have been more satisfying. As it was, I barely started to feel the suspense before it was over, which was a bit disappointing. Books don't grip me that way all that often, and it was a shame that such a thrilling story was over so quickly.

However, I enjoyed this book and I will definitely be looking for more from this series.

Quality: Acceptable
Enjoyability: Good

The Stubborn Dead is similar to:
Haunted by Kelley Armstrong
Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland
Grave Witch by Kalayna Price

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.