Thursday, December 8, 2011

Friday: Giving Books and Adapting Movies




Follow Friday is a weekly blog hop hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee. This week's features are Anonymous Reads and Keeping up with Roxy's Books.

This week's question is...

What book do you think EVERYONE should read and, if you could, would you give to all your family and friends?

Tough choice - I'm really bad at picking favorites! There's Harry Potter, of course, but I'm just going to assume pretty much everyone has already read that. I love everything by Jennifer Fallon, Guy Gavriel Kay, and Robin McKinley, so I might say The Immortal Prince or The Lions of Al-Rassan or Sunshine, but maybe those are too genre-specific to apply to EVERYONE. Karen Moning's Fever series was absolutely riveting, but that has the same problem as before. (Anyone noticing a trend in my book choices?) I think, if I were to pick a book for EVERYONE to read, it would have to be Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese, first because it is wonderfully witty and a spectacular story, and second because it's about the Apocalypse, and as everyone knows, the world is going to end next year. So it might help to prepare, at the end of the world as we know it, to, you know, feel fine.






***********************************************************************


TGIF is a meme hosted by Ginger at GReads.

This week's question is...

Which book-turned-movie do you feel did the best adaptation? What about the worst?

I generally don't much like movie adaptations that I watch after I've read the books. So my favorites are ones for which I've never picked up the books they're based on - The Bourne Identity, Fight Club, The Princess Bride, and so forth. (I finally got The Princess Bride a couple weeks ago, so I'll be reading it soon! Please don't hate me!) I don't know if there's a particular adaptation I thought was the worst, I'm just not a big fan of them. Anyone seen any real disasters?

This week on Epic (Chocolate) Fantasy:


Review: Drink Deep by Chloe Neill
New O.W.L-Style Ratings
Review: Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks
Recipe: Blackened Chicken
My 2012 Reading Challenges
Review: Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

8 comments:

  1. I'm definitely suggesting Harry Potter :)

    Old Follower~
    Hopping through~
    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about the Fever series but I've never read it. I definitely want to read it soon.

    My Follow Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping through. I can't hate you about The Princess Bride book, because I've never read it. I've only seen the movie once although I liked it.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I have never heard of Sunshine. I will have to look it up.
    New follower on FF.
    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also not a fan of watching the movie after I've read the book, as I always end up disappointed. There are exceptions, but I can't even think of any right now:P

    New follower from FF:)
    Nina at Lost in the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Princess Bride, that was also a choice of mine this week!

    New Follower

    Shortskie's Friday Hops

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard since everyone likes different genres! I had to pick a few in different genres and could still add more, lol. HP & Fever are definitely great choices IMO though. ;)

    New follower! Have a great weekend. :)
    My recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to check out Mercury Falls. If you like apocalypse books, you should read Susan Beth Pfeffer's series Life As We Knew It series.

    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction
    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.