Sunday, October 30, 2011

Epic Chocolate Brownies

Now that I'm finally caught up on reviews, it's time for more baking! I realized that, contrary to my blog's title, I currently have no recipes up for anything chocolate, so here's a key sweet for any time: brownies. Brownies are approximately the most delicious snack ever, and the only one where I don't feel bad using a mix. For some reason, I have never been able to make fudgy brownies from scratch. But using a mix doesn't mean you can't spice it up a little! So here is my recipe for the greatest brownies ever with Oreos and vanilla buttercream frosting.


You will need:
1 pkg brownie mix (I like Betty Crocker, but whatever you want is fine)
Whatever ingredients the box tells you
About half a dozen crushed or broken up Oreos

For the frosting:
1 stick of butter, softened
1 1/2 - 2 c confectioner's sugar
Dash of vanilla extract
Some flour
A little bit of milk
Pinch of salt

Optional:
Milk
Flour

First preheat your oven to whatever the brownie box says and grease an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan. Theoretically, you can use a 13x9 inch pan too, but thinner brownies just aren't as good. Now just follow the instructions on the box until you have your brownie mix finished in the bowl. Stir in the Oreos and proceed according to the box. When you put the brownies in the oven, take out the butter so it's soft when you make the frosting. For extra gooey brownies, bake a few minutes less than the box says.


Okay, now let's skip forward 45 minutes or so and pretend your brownies are done. While they're cooling, you can whip up some frosting to make those babies even better! Buttercream frosting is really easy to make, and it's the kind of recipe you can easily adjust to your taste.

Put the butter you left out earlier in a medium sized bowl and whip on high for 3-5 minutes. You want it to look pale and creamy. You'll probably have to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times.


Once the butter is thoroughly whipped, add some confectioner's sugar. I usually do this by sight, but you probably want to start with about a cup. Unless you want a fine coating of powdered sugar all over your kitchen, start with your mixer on low and work your way up to higher speeds as everything gets blended. Gradually add more sugar until you think your butter-sugar ratio tastes okay.

Don't worry if your frosting looks a little crumbly at first. Just keep beating, and add some milk if necessary.

Beat in a dash (maybe a teaspoon or so?) of vanilla. You can be done now if you want, but if you think your frosting is a little too sweet, try adding a litte flour and milk to balance it out. Then add a bit of salt to bring out the flavor.


So now you have brownies and frosting. Yum! But be careful. DO NOT FROST THE BROWNIES WHILE THEY ARE STILL WARM. Buttercream frosting does not like warm. If you frost the brownies while they are at all warm, the frosting will separate and then it will be weird and you will have to put everything in the fridge and hope it works out okay. Clearly this has never happened to me. But eventually, when the brownies are cool, you can frost them and then you will have delicious, delicious brownies and everyone will be happy. The end.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm this sounds so yummy! I wish I lived in a place with a kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No kitchen?! *gasp*

    It's sad, but I actually did more cooking when I lived in a dorm than I do now. I think it's because I had more people to bake for :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.