Saturday, October 8, 2011

Tithe by Holly Black

Tithe
Holly Black
The Modern Faerie Tales #1


From Goodreads: Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces the sixteen-year-old back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms -- a struggle that could very well mean her death.


While this book has gotten some very mixed reviews, I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I found Holly Black to be a great storyteller with a tale darker than the YA fantasy norm.


I really liked the way the faerie courts were done here. The Seelie, Unseelie, and solitaries all had their own flaws, rather than having a simple good-vs.-evil setup, which I've seen elsewhere. The characters were all very definitely flawed, sometimes exaggeratedly so, but overall I liked most of them.


Even though I don't have a whole lot to say about it, I did like this book. I've read the rest of the series and they're done in a similar style.


Plot: 3 cupcakes
Characters: 3 cupcakes
Style: 4 cupcakes
Overall: 3 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.