Monday, October 17, 2011

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception
Maggie Stiefvater
Books of Faerie #1

Deirdre Monaghan, musical prodigy, is used to being different. But it's only when she meets the enigmatic Luke Dillon that she realizes just how unique she is. Luke and Dee quickly develop a fairy tale romance that puts both of them in even more danger than they already faced.

I am beginning to suspect that Maggie Stiefvater may be a witch or faerie of some sort. How else could her words be as thoroughly enscrolling as they are? While I didn't find myself quite as engrossed in Lament as The Wolves of Mercy Falls (review), it still bore Stiefvater's characteristic lyricism and beauty, and for that, I loved it.

As for the story itself, Luke and Deirdre's attraction to each other was sweet and romantic and a little too perfect. However, they redeemed themselves in part though cleverness and my imagination's creation of their music. I really like James, actually, and I hope we'll see much more of him in Ballad. I also desperately want to know more about Deirdre's family and their abilities and connection to the fae, which was never really explained in this book.

At some point when I was enjoying Dee and Luke being in love and wondering at her newfound abilities and his tragic past, the ending snuck up on me. It did so loudly and probably wearing bells of some kind, but I can be difficult to distract. I am in fact still not entirely clear on what happened and why, though I would guess that once the story has time to sink into my brain I may figure most of it out. Or I could just go read the next one and let it tell me the rest. You know what, I think I'll go do that.

Plot: 3 cupcakes
Characters: 4 cupcakes
Style: 5 cupcakes
Overall: 4 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I try to respond to them...eventually!

This is now an award-free blog. I love and totally appreciate that you thought of me, but I know myself better than to think I would be organized enough to pass them along, and that doesn't seem fair.

Finally, if you're posting a URL, the code to make it actually link to your site is <.a href="your URL">your text<./a>, without the periods.